Monday, January 22, 2007

"School is Hard"

This summer, I got a call from a guy in the next town up the road (Norfolk, Nebraska, about 45 miles north) who said he had been applying to brewing schools, and they told him he should do a three-month internship in an actual brewery to get the most out of the courses. I told him sure, I'd be happy to put him to work for a few months. In fact, I worked him so hard that I used to introduce him as "my rented mule".


Two weeks ago, Jeremy began a five-month program at the Versuchs- und Lehranstalt für Brauerei in Berlin, one of the top brewing schools in the world. (Yes, I am quite envious.) He sent me his initial impressions this afternoon:




Subject: school is hard

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:45:55 -0600


From: Jeremy Kirby

To: rstueven@beerme.com



There are about 28 students. Half of them are turks, all from Efes, 1/3 are tai and the rest are quite a crew. I'm making some good friends and learning to live without hops. There is lots of memorization, but an evening beer or two helps. Send me an IPA!!


I'm pretty swamped but thought i would get off a quick note.


Anyway, Cheers and tell Paris hi from the both of us. I will try to send some pics


THEND


JLK


So if you know where Jeremy can find a big, hoppy, bitter beer in Berlin, please let me know and I'll pass the information along. Otherwise I just might have to bottle up some of my own and hand-deliver it.

No comments: