Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Öchslebräu Inaugural Brew: The Princess of Darkness

I brewed yesterday for the first time in well over a year; it was my first small-scale batch since 2005. The recipe was the Princess of Darkness Porter, a 13.5°P beauty of a black beer.



Nebraska Brewing Company kindly donated the ingredients and the use of their mill.



Öchslebräu


Öchslebräu



Milling the malt


Milling the malt



Mashing in


Strike water



Mashing in


Mashing in



Vorlauf


Vorlauf



Running off


Running off



Boiling


Boiling



Whirlpool


Whirlpool



The \


The "full" fermenter



Apparently, I underestimated the sparge water volume. Instead of a 13.5°P beauty of a black beer, we have a 21°P beauty of an intense black beer: The Empress of Darkness.



As soon as I can get my hands on another carboy, we'll give it another try.

No comments: