Monday, August 20, 2007

Root Beer Monday

My back is feeling better now than it has in years, thanks to Friday's injections. The real test will be how it feels after today's workout.



But first, I'll clean the draft lines.



I went out to Duncan to get a pallet of sugar and had a hell of a time wrestling it through the warehouse. Once I got it to the brewery, I made 28 barrels (868 gallons, 3300 liters) of root beer. That's 1,000 pounds (450 kg) of sugar, ten 100-pound bags, carried up six steps, lifted chest-high, and dumped into the kettle.



My back doesn't feel as good now as it did this morning.



One final project today, that I've been putting off for a long time: dumping the Weizenbock that I brewed back in January, before the Great Cleaning of 2007. This beer got infected early on. I tasted it every month or so, and while it did eventually turn into a reasonable facsimile of a Flemish Red Ale, there's no way I could sell seven barrels of it in this town. So down the drain it went, chased with ten barrels of 190°F water.

No comments: