Saturday, October 14, 2006

Dornbirn

Yesterday: Lustenau-Arbon



Another foggy day, with the odd drop of rain. I made the earlier train today, so it's off to a good start.



Mohren-Bräu is quite a big facility, but they don't have a Stube.



Mohren-Bräu



Kein ProblemSchlossbräu is just a few blocks away. Missed a turn or two, but got there OK.



Schlossbräu



Owner/Diplom-Braumeister Gottfried Seitz went way beyond Gemütlichkeit, showing me around his brewery, talking about the local beer scene, and ultimately buying my lunch and beers! He's a Real Fun Guy who can come drink my beers any time.



Gottfried pointed me to the Gasthaus Bierlokal on the edge of the Marktplatz; they carry some of the Mohren-Bräu range. Löwenbräu München has an excellent Dunkles Lager, but the complexity of Mohren-Bräu Gambrinus blows it away. It's one of those rare beers that could score 35 on my 20-point scale.



(Either European tobacco has a really sweet aroma, or there are lots of people smoking dope in the stations.)



There's just the tiniest bit of snow on the tops of the mountains east of Dornbirn. The Grenzwache stopped a few people at Sankt-Margrethen, but not me. First time I've seen that on this route.



Shit. Turned the wrong way getting off the penultimate train, and missed the Konstanz connection by ten seconds. Next one's in twenty minutes, by which time I could walk to across the border to my hotel, so I did.



After wandering around the local mall looking for a non-existent Gasthaus someone had told us about, we ended up at Fäßle (Neugasse 23) for dinner and Ruppaner beers. It's a little hole-in-the-wall kind of place, but the food was excellent, and the people treated us like we were their best friends.



Tomorrow: Frauenfeld-Zürich

No comments: