Monday, December 1, 2008

Monday, 1 December 2008: Waldkirch and Riegel am Kaiserstuhl

Yesterday: Finally arrived in Basel



The hotel's breakfast buffet is CHF29.50 ($24.50) per person per day. I'll be buying pastries at the train station for the rest of the week.



It's overcast and maybe a bit chilly — around 2°C — and the people here are bundled up like we're at the North Pole. I have a light jacket that I'm carrying more than wearing.



I arrived at Waldkirch around 11:30 and walked 15 minutes or so from the train station to Brauereigaststätte Stadtrainsee Waldkirch. Aside from four pretty good beers, lunch consisted of a creamy green bean soup, salad, and bits of pork in mushroom gravy with french fries for €5.50 ($6.94). Good stuff!



Hirschenbrauerei Waldkirch


Hirschenbrauerei Waldkirch



Waldkirch Weizen


Waldkirch Weizen



Waldkirch Kellerbier


Waldkirch Kellerbier



Waldkirch Pils


Waldkirch Pils



Waldkirch Export


Waldkirch Export



A bus and a train got me to Riegel am Kaiserstuhl. Rather than wait five minutes for a three-minute bus ride into town and a five-minute walk to the brewery, I decided to walk the 2km in the rain. I arrived at Brauhaus Riegel around 2:45. A couple of their beers are brewed and bottled by Fürstenberg, and the rest are brewed on-site.



Brauhaus Riegel


Brauhaus Riegel



Riegeler Neun Linden


Riegeler Neun Linden



Riegeler Spezial Export


Riegeler Spezial Export



Riegeler Landbier


Riegeler Landbier



Riegeler Felsen Pils


Riegeler Felsen Pils



Martina, Martin, Hans, Richard, and Hans


Martina, Martin, Hans, Richard, and Hans



I got to drinking and talking to the folks here, and pretty soon I had missed my bus. Martin offered me a lift to the station to catch the 6:30 train. I was just pulling into the Basel station when Paris called to find out when I'd be back at the hotel.



We met up with Paris' colleague Melissa and headed for the Cargo Bar. It's hard to find, being on a street below the main streets, right next to the Rhein. The brewery website said that Steinegger Bräu would be available here, but it wasn't. Instead, they did have a couple of beers I had never tried, and a couple more that I had.




Cargo Bar, Basel



Paris and Melissa


Paris and Melissa enjoy their Trois Dames Black Stout



We got back to the hotel sometime after midnight and had a Feldschlösschen Dunkle Perle before turning in.



Tomorrow: Bern

No comments: