Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Nice Day in Galway

Yesterday: Rainy Day in Dublin



Absolutely beautiful weather for today's trip to Galway. Made me wonder if I was actually still in Ireland.




View Larger Map

Had I gone by car, this would have been the route



Out of the hotel at 8:00, ten-minute walk to the Luas, forty-minute ride to Dublin City Centre, ten-minute walk to the other Luas because they don't connect, fifteen-minute ride to Heuston Station, two hours and forty minutes on the train, and a five-minute cab ride got me to The Oslo Bar, home of the new Bay Brewery, around 12:30.




Heuston Station, Dublin




The Oslo Bar and Bay Brewery, Galway



Two beers on tap here, Bay Lager and Bay Ale. Both are unfiltered beers, smooth and sweet and bready. The Ale is a bit more assertive malt-wise, but both are clean and refreshing.




Bay Lager, Galway



Bay Ale, Galway



A second pint of Bay Ale the thing to wash down a bowl of Beef and Guinness Stew, but then it was already time to find a cab to take me back to Ceannt Station to catch the 3:05 train back to Dublin. A sleepy three and a half hours later, I'm back at the hotel with a pint of Guinness before me.



Galway looks to be a nice town, and I wish I had more time to spend there — it's certainly worth a weekend. If you happen to be in the area the first weekend in May, they're hosting the Brewers on the Bay fest with eleven Irish breweries expected.



Tomorrow is my last day here, and I don't have any plans at the moment. I guess that's tonight's Guinness-fueled activity.

No comments: