Sunday, October 25, 2009

Dublin

(Follow along on the map.)



There was some concern whether I'd make my connection in Atlanta, but in the end I arrived in Dublin about a half-hour early, at 9:30am. Paris had arranged for a taxi to take me to the hotel in Leopardstown.



My method of beating jet lag is to hit the ground running, so we were in central Dublin before noon. Our first stop was the Quays Bar.




The first Irish beer advertisement I saw was for Budweiser.





Quays Bar, 11 Temple Bar, Dublin




My first actual beer in Ireland was not Budweiser.



Just up the road is the very nice Palace Bar.




The Palace Bar, 21 Fleet Street, Dublin




Galway Hooker Irish Pale Ale



All the beers in this town are served Really Fucking Cold. I blame Budweiser. It's incredibly popular here, as are MGD and Coors Light.



O'Neills has a number of beers from Franciscan Well Brewery and Carlow Brewing.





O'Neills Bar, Suffolk Street, Dublin




Franciscan Well Blarney Blonde



Franciscan Well Rebel Red



Carlow O'Hara's Traditional Red Ale



Carlow O'Hara's Celtic Stout



Franciscan Well Friar Weisse



Porterhouse Central is just a couple of blocks away. They used to brew on-site, but now they have a production brewery out in Blanchardstown that supplies their five pubs.




Porterhouse Central, 45-47 Nassau Street, Dublin




Porterhouse Chiller



Porterhouse Temple Bräu



Porterhouse Hersbrucker



Porterhouse Alt



Porterhouse Red



Porterhouse Turner's Sticklebract Bitter



Porterhouse An Brainblásta



Porterhouse Oyster Stout



Porterhouse Plain Porter


(No picture?!?)


Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Stout



Porterhouse Hop Head



They also offered massive three-liter glasses of Erdinger Weißbier, but I didn't partake.





Right around the corner is The Farm. I know we had a Stout here, but I don't remember whose it was. It went well with the chocolate dessert, though.




The Farm, Dawson Street, Dublin



The Luas took us from St. Stephens Green to the hotel, where we had one more pint of Guinness before turning in well past midnight.



Tomorrow: Bull & Castle and the Guinness Storehouse

No comments: