Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tuesday: Avenue Pub fun

Yesterday, Gordon Biersch brewer Tom Conklin told me about a new beer bar on St. Charles Avenue, the Avenue Pub. I took his advice and walked down there this morning, and I'm glad I did.




Avenue Pub, New Orleans



Avenue Pub's owner Polly keeps 31 taps flowing, mostly American craft beers, with a few fine imported beers thrown in. Bartenders Emmy and Wheels were intelligent, beer-knowledgeable people who were great fun to talk to. The food menu is simple but interesting, and I highly recommend the Saint Chuck Duck sandwich. And the beer prices are absolutely the most reasonable in town.


Emmy pours a beer



I got through these drafts and bottles on today's visit:





Avenue Pub is at 1732 St. Charles Avenue, corner of Polymnia Street, easily reached using the St. Charles streetcar. They're open 24/7 for your drinking pleasure, which is unusual even for this town. Don't miss it.



Sadly, I had to head back to the hotel at 4:30. But there's a good chance I'll come back to Avenue Pub tomorrow!




The St. Charles streetcar passes in front of Avenue Pub

No comments: